Pilates has really worked for me which is why I became a teacher. The first time I needed to do Pilates was after a car accident, and then throughout both of my pregnancies. Today, if I ever feel out of alignment or in pain, Pilates is the only answer – I can do it in five minutes and I know I’ll feel better. I believe it’s about a balanced, happy body and mind.
Joseph Pilates designed this revolutionary system of exercise in the 1950s and he is still very much respected and referred to today.
“Pilates is the complete coordination of body, mind and spirit” Joseph Pilates
Hannahs Top Reasons to do Pilates
1. The most important thing Pilates does is support your core, strengthen abdominals, back and pelvic floor. This is important for spinal stability. We don’t guarantee a flat tummy but you’ll certainly get a smaller waist- however we will focus on that next week and how you can improve your tummy with “Hannah’s 7 steps to a summer yummy tummy and her favourite abdominal exercises”
2. Your balance will improve – try and balance on one leg – if you wobble you need to do Pilates!
3. Your body will have a better posture and proper alignment which improves your self esteem. Look in the mirror – You will look and walk better as more straight and confident with 2 inches taller!
4. Pilates keeps you fit and toned as you age. As our body and hormones change through the seasons of our life. So its right for all stages i.e. post-natal recovery; amazing 40s; sensational 50s; and sexy 60s plus# whether an athlete or recovering from an injury, the level can be adapted for you!
5. Pilates breathing will help you focus and relax the mind – it will improve your circulation, stimulate the spine and muscles. You will sleep better and learn to relax when stressed, as we run such busy lives. As you focus on the movement, the body and mind will work together more giving mind body awareness.
6. You may well look slimmer as the muscles lengthen and tone and it encourages better body circulation to aid weight loss.
7. You will improve your pelvic floor (which in turn leads to a better sex life!!). We rely on these muscles more than you think – they are our foundation like a tree’s roots. Your Pelvic floor is so important not just during and after pregnancy for women ALL their life. We need it strong to support our organs and prevent incontinence – if you have a slight leak when you cough of laugh you need to address this now – it means something is wrong . Your pelvic floor may be weak or Pilates will help you relax other muscles so it can get stronger.
8. You will improve the tone of your muscles (less wobbly bits!) as Pilates wont over develop some areas more than others and each movement lengthens the muscles, Pilates focuses on long lean muscles using eccentric contractions – lengthening not on the contraction like a bicep curl but the return phase i.e. lowering your leg.
9. Your joints will be more mobile and therefore help you feel better and prevent injury – not so stiff keeping fluid moving to prevent stiff joints and less pain which is relevant for all ages!
10. You will feel more flexible as Pilates stretches works on the stretch and increasing of the muscles and range of motion within joints. Clients say they feel so much better and their body feels lengthened and lighter after stretching the muscles and with more relaxed muscles tension in your neck, shoulders and lower back can relax and you’ll have less tightness and pain.
11. It is amazing pain relief as the exercises will isolate or focus on one or a few muscles at a time i.e. your bottom or one leg this will stop your dominate side taking over -as it may when you walk/ run or work. Your body will learn to isolate a muscle and therefore your body and muscles will be more balanced so no pain down one side if you over use it. Or as we get older people tend to lean, so working the weak side will stop this. So it is relevant for rehab after injury, also athletes and all ages – we adapt the exercise for different levels and give modifications so classes tailored to all.
12. Pilates will increase your energy and help you sleep well –and keep you pain free to do more of the things you enjoy like gardening, golf, running, skiing, cycling.
You will get addicted to Pilates plus any exercise you enjoy with make you happy, you will look forward to your session or class and you will stick to it. Pilates classes are fun and relaxing and you may make some friends that motivate you to want to do more!
Testimonial from a client “We started Hannah’s Pilates classes when we were training for the London to Paris Bike Ride to celebrate our 40th birthday and the classes saved us! They made an amazing difference to my body while training and helped relieve stiff limbs and a bad back as Hannah stretched us out and corrected our bike posture. The exercises and stretches were essential for our tired muscles during the challenge at the end of each day, and I’m sure a strong core contributed to us completing the ride with no injuries. We have continued the classes and I have found it is a huge difference to how my body feels and releases any tension after daily work and home stresses. Thanks Sophie Hardy Farnham.
For more info on our Yummy Tummy Programme click here